Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The post in which I talk...

...about cooking oatmeal in a crockpot...

Why yes, two posts in a week - both on crockpots!

I made another attempt at crockpotting oatmeal overnight, and this time it was a success!  *flails*

I used an Alton Brown recipe, doubled it, modified it a wee bit, and adjusted the cooking time - sort of.

Overnight Oatmeal - adapted from Alton Brown


  • 2 cups steel cut oatmeal (also called Irish Oatmeal) - I had problems locating this - I got mine from the local Trader Joe's.
  • 8 cups of water
  • 1 cup half and half
  • couple pinches of salt
  • cinnamon


Mix together.  Cook on low for a couple hours, turn down to warm overnight, turn on high for 2 hours or until done in the morning.

Add one packet of splenda, fresh berries, mini chocolate chips, bananas, coconut, etc...YUMMY!!

(AB differences: his recipe did not call for the salt or cinnamon, was cut in half and had dried fruit in it.  I "might" reduce the liquid a little bit next time since there is no dried fruit to rehydrate, although it really worked out great.)

I divided the oatmeal in one cup servings and froze what I didn't eat.  Will thaw and add the extras for quick breakfasts on the go!

Weight Watcher Points = approximately 4 points without topping.  Add 2 points for 1 TBSP of chocolate chips, 1 point for 1 TBSP of shredded coconut.

Tomorrow, I plan to add caramel, chocolate chips and coconut - Samoa Oatmeal!

Next up to try is Pumpkin Oatmeal!



No comments:

Post a Comment