Thursday, April 4, 2013

Pumpkin Oatmeal in the crockpot...

I did make Pumpkin Oatmeal in my crockpot over the Easter Holiday and I have to say - it's okay...I'm not wild about it, but I would do it again, just not right away.

I used this recipe, although I cut the sugar in half - between the sugar and the maple syrup, it just seemed like a lot!

This made 9 cups, so I was able to freeze a bunch.  Can't get my kids to try it, though. ;-)

Here's the recipe if you don't want to click on the link:


CREAMY PUMPKIN OATMEAL
Servings: 9 (1 cup each)
2 cups steel cut oats
1 12 oz. can fat-free evaporated milk
1 15 oz. can pumpkin
5 1/2 C water
1 C sugar
2 t pumpkin pie spice
1/4 C maple syrup
1. Combine all ingredients in crock, stir well. Cook on low for 8 hours or 3 hours on high (stir every hour to keep from getting a crust).
2. For an apple version: substitute 2 cups sugar free applesauce for the pumpkin. Add 1 large chopped apple. Substitute 2 teaspoons cinnamon for the pumpkin pie spice.

I definitely want to try the apple version.  Yum...

1 comment: